• Zielgruppen
  • Suche

Visa and Administrative Requirements

On this page you will find some informatione regarding immigration and visa procedures for your stay in Hannover.

Information for EU citizens

EU citizens, as well as citizens of the European Economic Area, do not need a visa or a residence permit. They only need to sign a statement stating that they have sufficient financial means.

City Registration

After the arrival in Hannover, ALL international students must register with the city's "Ausländerbehörde" as all German students must do this as well. Please, read here about Registration with the City of Hannover (in German).

Information for non EU citizens

Immigration with visa

Usually, foreigners need a visa to enter Germany. For longer stays, you will additionally need a residence permit (Aufenthaltserlaubnis). You must apply for a visa in your country of origin before you move to Germany. After immigration, you must apply for a residence permit at the department for foreigners (Ausländerbehörde) in Hannover. Please make sure NOT to apply for a tourist visa. You will need to apply for a visa that allows multiple entries into the country. Also be sure that accompanying family members have appropriate documentation as well.

To get immigration and legal stay in Germany you need a resident permit according to §16 (AufenthG). This allows as well studies prior to your admission at university. Max. time for that is normally of one year (so called "studienvorbereitende Maßnahmen"). In any case you must proof your financial ability ("Finanzierungsnachweis"). Thus, you must prove to the German embassy in your country of residence and to the city of Hannover that you can finance your stay in Germany. The appoximate value is 8640,- € per year, which nearly corresponds to the monthly maximum BAFöG level of 735,- € (15.11.2016, Studentenwerk) You can document your financial background by performing one of the following actions:

  • EITHER opening a blocked account "Sperrkonto" with a value of at least 8640€. Note that the amount depends on the duration of your stay. If you are only staying for six months, you will only have to put 6 x 670€ in the blocked account. The blocked account will allow you to take out 720€ per month max.
  • OR presenting a formal commitment ("Verpflichtungserklärung") of a third party (such as your parents) stating that they will support you with at least 720€ per month. This formal commitment is only accepted if issued at a German embassy or consulate in your home country.
  • OR presenting documentation of an acknowledged publicly financed scholarship (such as DAAD or from your home university) which supports you with at least 720€ per month or comparative proof of income (e.g. salary)

You can find more information about visa regulations for certain countries here: German Ministry of Foreign Affairs .

Here you get more information about "Schengen visa" regulations.

Immigration without visa

Note: Students from so called "positiven Drittstaaten" such as the USA, Israel, Brazil or South Korea (see visa regulations) can enter Germany without visa. However, they have to get their stay legitimized by the local authorites (Ausländerbehörde) in Germany. Thus, they must apply for a residence permit ("Aufenthalterlaubnis"), usually, students apply for § 16 AufenthG). The above mentioned requirements for financial documentation apply as well.

Residence Permit

To get or extend a residence permit you usually need the following documents:

  • a valid passport
  • a biometric photo
  • documentation of your financial background (see above)(also for scholarship holder)
  • documentation of health insurance
  • for students: enrollment certificate ("Immatrikulationsbescheinigung")
  • for visiting scholars: confirmation of employer (institute) and about kind and duration of occupation