• Zielgruppen
  • Suche



This issue is very important. If you are not adequately covered by insurance, the costs for a possible stay at the hospital could force you to abort your stay in Germany!

When you are planning to do research at Leibniz Universität Hannover, you can find special information about insurance here.

Health Insurance

In order to be enrolled, you need to have a medical insurance. Generally, students have public insurance and pay 64,77 Euros monthly with an additional cost of 12,24 Euros for nursing insurance (Persons above the age of 23 pay 13,73 Euros).

The letter of acceptance has to be submitted to the public medical insurance (health insurance company), so that they can issue an insurance-certificate, which is needed to enrol at the Leibniz Universität Hannover. The insurance-certificate is mandatory and can only be issued by a public insurance (health insurance company).

Generally, students that are attending a DSH-preparatory course, pre-degree course (Studienkolleg) or are above the age of 30 at the start of their studies, need to prove that they have a private medical insurance. There are many different medical insurance providers for international students. You should check in advance if these are sufficient for your stay  (many travel insurances from foreign countries do not meet the requirements!).


In order to avoid additional costs, get more information from the International Office before you arrive in Germany!


Health Insurances on Campus


Callinstr. 23
(in the building of the Main Cafeteria)
30167 Hannover

Tel. +49 511.13811
Fax +49 511.13835

Techniker Krankenkasse

Callinstr. 23
(in the building of the Main Cafeteria)
30167 Hannover

Tel. +49 511.1 65 00 68
Fax +49 511.7 01 09 24

To get to either office, take the tram lines 4 or 5. Get off the train at station “Schneiderberg / Wilhelm-Busch-Museum," cross the street and walk until the first four-way intersection. On the left side you can find the building of the Main Cafeteria, in which the “Techniker Krankenkasse” and  “AOK” are located in.

Accident Insurance

All students and PhD students are insured by the Leibniz Universität for accidents happening during classes or on the way to or from classes. Also, if you have an accident on campus, in the library or during an excursion you are covered by university insurance.

Liability Insurance

If you hurt somebody or damage property you are responsible for all costs, which can sometimes be very high. Therefore, it is advisable to get private liability insurance (Haftpflicht Versicherung). However, it is a good idea to inform yourself about your liability insurance in your home country to see if you are covered during your stay in Germany.

If you find that you are not covered in your home country, you can get private liability insurance in Hannover. Information on prices and performances of the various insurance companies can be found in the brochure, "Hausrat und Haftpflichtversicherungen“ which can be purchased at the “Verbraucherzentrale”.

Contact information to the insurance companies can be found in "Gelben Seiten" under the keyword "Versicherungen".

Verbraucherzentrale Niedersachsen e.V.

Herrenstr. 14

30 159 Hannover

Tel. +49 511.911 96 01
Fax +49 511.911 96 10